FORD—The Rev. Joseph B. Fields Jr. had just left his study to start greeting worshippers arriving at the spring revival service Tuesday night at Mount Zion Baptist Church in Dinwiddie County. Then he heard the boom.

At first, he thought it might have been a train on the tracks behind his rural church, but he rushed outside to find the sound had come from the highway out front. A van carrying members of Shiloh Baptist Church in Blackstone had been hit from behind on U.S. 460 as it slowed to turn toward the parking lot of Mount Zion.

Fields, a 74-year-old Vietnam veteran, ran to the overturned van on the side of the road to try to pull people out. He saw a close friend inside. But he couldn’t get the door open.

The crash killed four members of Shiloh Baptist and injured the seven others who were inside the van as it headed to the revival at Mount Zion Baptist.

“This is like waking up from a nightmare. Like you’re in a dream,” Fields said Wednesday morning as he stood outside the church where he’s been the pastor for 44 years. “My heart just aches ... but we’re going to make it. We’re going to get through it.”

The accident occurred on the first night of a three-day revival event, shaking up two church communities as they tried to come together in fellowship.

Lafayette Dickens, a deacon at Shiloh Baptist, said the van was carrying choir members who had been asked to sing at the revival. Dickens said other choir members who were traveling in a separate car witnessed the horrific crash.

Dickens said he and other members of his church were in “absolute shock.”

“They were such good people,” he said of the four members who were killed. “It just hurts right now. We’ve never dealt with anything like this. We’re just taking it one day at a time.”

Authorities on Wednesday identified the four Blackstone residents who died in the crash: Constance Wynn, 85, a former Lunenburg County school teacher who served as a town councilwoman from 1987 to 2010; James Farley, 87, a former groundskeeper at Shiloh Baptist Church; Wartena Somerville, 36, an elementary school teacher and the mother of a young child; and Delois Williams, 72, chairperson of the church’s deacon board.

“The members of that church and the people in that van in particular were just good God-fearing servants of the Lord, going [Tuesday night] to worship the Lord,” said Blackstone Mayor Billy Coleburn. “So I tell people who’ve been upset, ‘Look, if you believe in God, there’s no doubt where they are this morning.’”

“Constance—I can hear her right now—she would put her hand on your shoulder, and she would say, ‘I am fine, I am with the Lord, and you’re going to be all right too.’ That’s exactly what she’d say.”

Shiloh Baptist “is a very influential church in Blackstone, they do a lot of outreach—very historic,” Coleburn noted. “When blacks didn’t have equal representation in this community, meetings were held at that church. They called it the Holy Ghost headquarters. And there were planning sessions there. And this town was in a Southern voting-rights suit. We were a very segregated community and were for many years.”

Blackstone Council President Barbara Thompson, who is a longtime member of the church, was one of the first African Americans—along with victim Constance Wynn—to be elected to the Blackstone Town Council in 1987.

Wynn, who for years taught school in neighboring Lunenburg, stepped down from the council in 2010 but Thompson has remained, and fills in as mayor when Coleburn is away or unavailable.

“Everybody that died was good people,” Thompson said as she was still processing the tragedy from her downtown office at Blackstone Realty, a short walk from the church.

When she learned of the crash Tuesday night, she was told that all 11 church members in the van had been taken to the hospital.

The person who told her was a church member who had planned to ride to the revival in the van. But the woman changed her mind, getting off the van, when a friend drove up in a car and the two ended up driving to Mount Zion together.

“She would have been in the van otherwise,” Thompson said.

When Thompson was told later Tuesday that four members of her congregation had died, “I just started crying, that’s all you can do at that point. You just feel sadness.”

Thompson was especially fond of Delois Williams, who had been named earlier this year as chairperson of Shiloh Baptist Church’s deacon board.

“She was just so special to me,” Thompson said. “She was a beautiful lady. She’s the kind of person you could confide in. If you needed to talk to somebody, she was the one you could go to. She would always say, ‘Just trust in God,’ for any problem you had. I will miss her so much.”

Victim James Farley was a former groundskeeper for the church who in recent years spent much of his time at a local McDonald’s, where the employees there “took care of him,” Thompson said.

After Tuesday’s crash, three of the people in the van were flown to VCU Medical Center in Richmond in critical condition, and four others in the van were taken to hospitals by ambulance with serious injuries. The four who died all died at the scene.

According to state police, the Ford E-350 multi-passenger van was traveling west on U.S. 460 just before 7 p.m. when it slowed to make the right turn. A Ford F-450 truck pulling a trailer loaded with metal failed to stop in time and rear-ended the van, police said.

The van overturned several times before coming to rest on its side off the right side of the road. The truck ran off the left side of the road and struck a guardrail.

The driver of the truck, 47-year-old Robert Lee Allen of Norfolk, was taken by ambulance to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

State police said that charges were pending and that the investigation remained ongoing.

“It’s been a rough 24 hours,” Fields told those gathered for the second night of the revival.

Deacon Ralph Ruffin affirmed that, amid the tragedy, the revival services will continue.

“I want to thank God for each and every one of you all that came out to help us with this revival,” he said. “I want to thank the ones that prayed for us last night after the terrible thing that happened.”

Before Wednesday’s service, a cross made of purple flowers was visible near where the van came to a rest.

“Life goes on,” said Frank Harris, a Mount Zion deacon. “We know where they are.”

(804) 649-6839

Twitter: @gmoomaw

(804) 649-6450

(804) 649-6332

(804) 649-6885

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.