Established by an act of Congress, the National D-Day Memorial was initiated by D-Day veteran J. Robert "Bob" Slaughter. The site covers 88 acres on a hill overlooking the town of Bedford. The memorial centers on a monumental arch with a single word, "Overlord," engraved at the top. Overlord was the code name for the Allied invasion of Europe at Normandy on the coast of France on June 6, 1944. The site was dedicated by President George W. Bush on June 6, 2001.